Monday, July 6, 2009

8th grade graduation

I went to St. Barbara's for 8th grade and our 8th grade graduation was a big deal. We wore caps and gowns and got diploma's handed to us by the Bishop! Our school colors were brown and gold (hideous I know!), but needless to day the gowns were brown with gold tassels for the caps. Now by 8th grade I was old enough to know that things were not going well for my parents. We had moved into a rental house in Brookfield and we all knew that money troubles and other grown-up issues were troubling my parents. So a week before my graduation my Mom pulled my aside and told me that she had spoken to the principle at my school and even though my parents had not been able to come up with the tuition the school had agreed that withhold my diploma would be an unnecessary. However, my Mom did want me to know that she had handled the situation and that all was OK. So the morning of my graduation I got up and dressed in my pretty new dress and shoes, curled my hair and put on a little make-up. I then walked over to my friend Stacy's house so we could go to the school together for the line-up. I got into line, chattering excitedly with my friends in line, and was promptly pulled aside by the Principle. She informed me that there had been a new development in my parents tuition problem and that I was not going to get my diploma until they had paid the tuition in full. My eyes grew huge and started watering, my mouth dropped open I didn't know what to say. I told her that my Mom had told me I would get a diploma and she said things had changed and she wanted me to know so I was not shocked when I received an empty diploma holder form the Bishop. I was devastated. I started crying. Meanwhile my parents were busy getting the rest of the gang ready, buying flowers and balloon. My younger brother Peter insisted on carrying the balloon to the school, he was probably about 5 at the time, and of course he let go of the balloon on the way to the school. When I walked into the church for the ceremony I was crying so hard I could not even see straight. My Mom took one look at me and she just knew what had happened. She ran over to the principle to confront her but she refused to even talk to my Mother. Sure enough when they called my name I walked up to the Bishop and he smiled awkwardly at me and handed me an empty diploma holder. I started crying all over again. When the ceremony was over I met my family outside and of course started yelling at my Mom and Dad for ruining my life!!! I was horrified and embarrassed. Turns out my Dad had spoken to the principle and it was during that conversation that she had decided that the best way to revenge herself was to withhold my diploma. I don't know what was said by whom about what but my parents paid the outstanding bill and my diploma was sent to me 6 weeks later.

No comments:

Post a Comment