Friday, July 10, 2009

What's in a name??

Before I was married my full name was Jeanne McGuire Carey. Can you already tell where this story is going? Now when I was younger and we had those crazy hearing tests at school where you line up and have to give the examiner your last name first..yeah this is how it went:
Your last name please?
Carey.
No honey your last name.
Carey.
Your last name is Carey?
Yes.
What's your first name?
Jeanne.
J-e-a-n?
No Jeanne with two n's and an e.
JeAnne?
Just Jeanne.
Oh.
What's your middle name?
McGuire
HUH?!?!??!
Yup that was my life for a loooooong time. So I started just using my middle initial to avoid some of the confusion. But still having two first names never did me any good. One time I was at a theater production and had entered a raffle. The name that was called repeatedly was something like Joanne Casey and no one was claiming to be the winner...but they kept calling this name over and over and over...finally my friends looked and me and were all...that MUST be Jeanne Carey! Sure enough it was my ticket!
As I got older and email started to be more predominant especially at work my name would appear as such: Carey, Jeanne. Needless to say most people just called me Carey. Emails would arrive to my inbox Hi Carey can you do such and such. And even though I always responded to the emails and signed off as Jeanne Carey the emails would return Thanks Carey!
And the spelling of my first name...nightmare! At Starbucks where they ask you your name then misspells are constantly on your cup here are a few of the names I've seen:
Gene (this is the most common)
Jean
Jeannie
Gean
Jeane
And so on....
I thought life would improve with the last name Tari...but often I get emails as such:
Dear Tari can you please schedule me for the next training class?
Really?? Tari…that’s my first name??? Come on now folks!
A note to parents naming their kids…please give them a break, no two first names!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment