Monday, July 13, 2009

The Bald Soprano

When I was 16 we moved and I started a new High School. I auditioned for a play at the beginning of the school year...The Bald Soprano and was cast as Mary the maid. I had a monologue in the first Act in which I went on and on about blue eyes and brown eyes and made very little sense but it was a play in the theater of the absurd so it wasn't supposed to make much sense. My costume was a French maid costume complete with fish net stockings. I was thrilled to have gotten the role and be part of the theater group at Maine East. However I was chosen over a senior who had already established herself as part of the theater group. Therefore right off the bat I was the outsider who stole the role from Christina...not the best way to enter into a new high school. However it worked out pretty well in the long run I also directed Greater Tuna that year, was head of costumes for The Foreigner and a member of the chorus for Guys and Dolls. I ended up making friends with kids who I am still friends with to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment