Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Big Blue Truck


When I was a junior in high school one of my closest friends was Russ...actually he is still one of my closest friends. I was also very close with his parents...Mama and Papa, my pseudo parents. Russ and I had a complicated relationship at the time, dating then friends then enemies then friends. You know how it is in high school. During one of the time when we were pretending to be friends we were at a theater cast party and Russ was flirting with some girl and I was jealous. So when one of my friends needed to get home for curfew I volunteered to take Russ' big blue truck and drive them home. Russ was hesitant but he wanted to be friendly and he wanted me out of the house so he could flirt without me glaring at him. Reluctantly he handed over the keys. Now of course this being high school my sister and another friend jumped at the chance to go for a ride. There is now me, my sister and two friends Jen and Jean in the truck. We are driving merrily along and suddenly the truck dies. I see that the tank says we are out of gas. So Jen and Liz run over to a gas station which is closed and of course the pay phone is broken. While we are waiting for them to return a cop car stops to assist. I am totally nervous because if they ask for insurance I am not listed as an approved driver on that car! Luckily they do not. They tell us that we are blocking traffic and need to move the truck off to the side of the road. They tell me to get in and put the truck in neutral and they will push. The policemen PUSH us into a sewer and can't get us out! So now not only are we out of gas but we are stuck in a manhole! I really start freaking out as does my friend Jean who is getting very close to missing her curfew. The police call a tow truck and agree to drive Jean home. The tow truck comes and hooks up the truck. They ask me my address and I give them Russ' address. They tow us home and tell me the cost is $65. I now have to knock on Mama and Papa's door and ask them to pay for the tow *gulp*. I start knocking and realize they are sleeping..can this get any worse? Mama answers the door and I get down on my knees begging for forgiveness and telling her I will work off the debit. Papa Lundberg goes out to talk to the tow guys and would you know it we were not even out of gas the truck had 2 TANKS! All I needed to do was flip a switch..who knew?!?!? Well Russ gets a ride home and is freaking out!!! He had been calling his Mom and Dad wondering if they had heard from me for the last 2 hours. Of course we got a stern talking to and had to agree to split the cost of the tow. It was probably this incident that helped us get over our issues and really become good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment